What’s coming next?
Hello Iowa Chapter members! As of the Executive Committee meeting last Thursday (10/6/22), I am your new President, with Tyler Stubbs stepping into the Past-President position and our new President-elect joining the ExCom. Who is that, you ask? Please welcome George Scholten, Iowa Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Research Supervisor, to the role of President-elect for 2022-2023.
I heartily thank Chris Larson for his prior service on the ExCom and Seth Fopma for his willingness to run for President-elect. I am doubly blessed because we get a new President-elect AND get to keep Seth around as Secretary-Treasurer. Finally, I thank Darcy Cashatt for her long-time service as our newsletter editor. We would be in a silent void without her regularly scheduled messages with President’s Corners, student updates, and recipes!
We have a few other important developments to announce:
- The 2023 Annual Business Meeting will be held in conjunction with The Wildlife Society AND immediately preceding Iowa DNR’s Fisheries Bureau statewide staff meeting. Please block the dates March 1-2 for the Iowa Chapter AFS Meeting.
- The State Fish recommendation has been selected. The Iowa Darter Etheostoma exile was voted on by the membership to represent Iowa as a whole. See call for volunteers below.
- We will be hosting a Chapter Logo contest! See details below.
- We have revamped the Undergraduate Student Scholarship for the 2022-2023 school year. See the announcement in this newsletter and apply before 12/31/22. See call for volunteers below.
We have several volunteer opportunities available, so please contact Seth at [email protected] if you are interested in helping with any of the following. If you raised your hand at the 2022 Business Meeting, we will also be reaching out soon.
- Develop the formal State Fish recommendation to the Iowa legislature
- Develop formal criteria for the new Chapter Awards as part of the Awards Committee
- Outstanding Early Career Professional Award
- Award of Professional Merit
- Award of Professional Excellence
- Aquatic Conservation Achievement Award
- Undergraduate Student Scholarship
I look forward to a productive year with you all! Please let us know how AFS can better serve you and provide value to you, and enjoy this beautiful autumn of fish-squeezing.